BUFDG Tax Conference: Wednesday 6th & Thursday 7th June 2018
Location: Burleigh Court Conference Centre, Loughborough University, Loughborough, LE11 3GREvent Description:
The popular annual BUFDG Tax Conference is a two-day residential conference aimed at tax and payroll managers and staff and those responsible for tax in their HEI but would be of interest to FDs and deputy FDs as well. The conference includes plenary sessions and a choice of several breakout sessions on each day. A taster of some of the topics covered by the conference is shown below.
The price for both days, including accommodation, is £500 plus VAT, with tickets excluding accommodation/dinner available at £425 plus VAT. A small number of one-day only places are available. Early booking is recommended, as this is a popular event. If the event is already fully booked, then please do put your name on the waiting list – we can often accommodate some of the waiting list and this helps us to budget for demand in future years.
Sessions & Content:
Whilst the programme is yet to be wholly finalised and is therefore subject to change, with further sessions still to be added/confirmed, an indicative list of topics on each day is shown below (if you are booking based on a specific topic or topics, please contact us for confirmation of the session before booking, in order to avoid disappointment).
As well as HMRC’s Making Tax Digital Policy team talking to us about the implementation programme, and an overview of what you should be doing in the remaining
- A demonstration of software that BUFDG is hoping to tailor specifically for the HE sector to assist with Making Tax Digital, as well as an opportunity to find out more about how to prepare for MTD and the capabilities of this software tool;
- HMRC’s changing attitude to interests in land; and
- An update on developments in relation to student accommodation
- The international picture in general with a focus on US taxes and US reform. This session will consider corporation tax, VAT and global mobility.
- Chinese tax issues from the view of a Chinese tax partner, particularly in relation to collaborations with Chinese entities.
- Recent developments in India and how to navigate the notoriously bureaucratic and difficult tax landscape there.
- Employment status and paying people – getting things right when paying contractors and volunteers
- Termination payments in the light of ‘that’ letter;
- Considerations for home & remote workers – expenses and benefits at home and when visiting the university.
- Criminal Finances Act 2017 and the Corporate Criminal Offence – what are universities doing?
We’ll be considering how to approach a campus development including looking at the VAT, CT, SDLT and PAYE considerations, as well as providing feedback and analysis on the 2018 BUFDG Tax & Payroll Surveys, and there will also be sessions on the following:
- An update on a group approach to resolving overseas agents issues;
- The QC representing SAE Education Ltd in the case about eligible bodies under the education exemption will update us on this;
- Collaboration in relation to research, and collaboration for other projects;
- A VAT litigation update on cases relevant to HE;
- VAT reporting trends and options for Making Tax Digital
- CT basics and when could CT actually be an issue?
- Considerations when disposing of a building (CT & VAT);
- An interactive panel discussion on global mobility – how are other universities managing their overseas workers and navigating the complexities that come with managing global compliance?
- The Taylor Review
- Results of the BUFDG IR35 Survey and progress towards an employment status flowchart for HE.
- Customs duty & Brexit - key dates and overall timelines, as well as issues and opportunities to consider, and the key actions other organisations are taking to be Brexit-ready for customs duty.
- When and why should you consider going out to tender for a single adviser on tax, and when should you appoint for individual pieces of work?
For those that want to book additional accommodation, we are giving the opportunity to book a bedroom on the night of Tuesday 5th as part of the booking process.
Please note that only the two-day with accommodation package includes accommodation and dinner for the night of Wednesday 6th June. The other packages are day-only and DO NOT include any accommodation or the evening dinner. If you do not require accommodation but would like to book dinner on Wednesday 6th, this can be done by clicking on the appropriate ticket combinations.
Travel details for the venue can be found here.
Total Tickets Sold: 179
Date : 06/06/2018 - 07/06/2018